The ngoma (n-go-mah) drum comes from the Congo and surrounding areas, and produces a sound similar to the conga or tumbadora drum. Our ngoma drums are hand-carved in West Africa from a solid, seasoned log of Mansonia wood. Classic Ashiko Style Ngoma is available in the 13×42 and 11×38 sizes.See Online Price with Free Shipping
Classic Ngoma Drum-Ashiko Style
This ngoma is larger than most full-size ngoma drums, and lighter than would be expected for the 42 inch height. The bass response is impressive with powerful tones and thick cow-skin slaps. The smaller ngoma (n-GO-muh) drum is carved to be lightweight and compact, making it well suited as a travel drum. The body style is a straight taper from top to base, both inside and outside dimension, similar to an extra-tall ashiko shape.
The ngoma (n-go-mah) drum comes from the Congo and surrounding areas, and produces a sound similar to the conga or tumbadora drum. Our ngoma drums are hand-carved in West Africa from a solid, seasoned log of Mansonia wood. These ngomas will sound great as part of any Latin or Afro-Cuban ensemble, but are specially suited for traditional Congolese drumming. The ngoma is played standing with drum tilted, secured by a waist strap. Each ngoma features:
- Average 13in playable surface, 42in tall
- Average 11in playable surface, 38in tall
- Thick cow skin head gives it that powerful, warm tonal sound
- 3 sound holes provide an open base, necessary to produce full range of tones. Carved in our Ashiko style.
- Ledge carved for bottom ring to help keep it in place for even sound distribution
- Hydrated with coconut oil and shea butter to preserve shell, with outside surface sealed with a light coat of lacquer to lock in moisture
- New black nylon rope, pre-stretched and comfortable to handle
- Cloth covered rings ensure long rope life
- Extra tuning rope included, easily tuned using the Mali weave technique
- Comes to you with the verticals tuned up and diamonds started, ready to play
- The purchase of this product sustains livelihoods for cultural artisans in West Africa.
Design note: Each of our ngomas are hand carved, so the exact shape will vary somewhat from the pictures shown. However, the sound and general construction will be as described, and similar to the representative photos shown above.
Sizes & Prices
|Model||Size||Description||Retail Price (USD)|
|NGO13A||13"x42||Classic Ngoma 13 X 42 - Ashiko style||$400|
|NGO11A||11"x38"||Classic Ngoma 11 X 38 - Ashiko style||$330|