This line of carved, rope tension, cow skin congas by Africa Heartwood Project add a whole new dimension to Afro-Cuban, Latin, and Congolese drumming. Being handcrafted out of a solid piece of Mansonia wood, and headed with unprocessed, thick cow skin, with oversize dimensions, the sound is warm and full, tones punchy, and bass much larger than usual for congas. These Classic Carved Congas are also much more comfortable to play thanks to the thick rounded bearing edges and dropped tuning rings. Available in four sizes: 10″ Quinto, 11″ Conga, 12″ Tumbadora, and 13″ Super Tumba. Each one feels larger than standard congas because of their hand-carved nature and full 28″-30″ height. Each drum features:
- Solid one-piece construction, hand carved out of a single piece of Mansonia wood in Ghana
- Natural cow skin head, shaved close for comfortable playing surface
- Cloth wrapped flesh and bottom rings to protect skin and rope
- Treated with coconut oil and shea butter inside and out, and sealed on the outside to help wood acclimate and prevent cracking
- Bearing edge rounded for long skin life and comfort whilst playing
- Wide mid-body and narrow base opening to round out tones and increase low-end response
- Ledge carved to keep bottom ring in position as tension is added
- Fully tunable tension system using the Mali weave
- Pictures are representative. Actual drum may vary in appearance, but will match the written descriptions.
- The purchase of this product sustains livelihoods for cultural artisans in West Africa.