The Classic Heartwood Djembes from Africa Heartwood Project are consistently our best-selling drums. The Classic Heartwood Djembe drum is a well-built, musical-grade instrument, built for the beginner or intermediate djembe drummer. This djembe would be a good choice for the drummer intending to take lessons or study djembe technique. Africa Heartwood Project djembes are hand-carved by experienced drum makers in West Africa. The Classic djembes are specially crafted with sound quality and playability in mind, with additional attention give to aesthetics.
Available in 6 sizes and choice between goat and cow skin, each Classic Heartwood Djembe features:
- Hand-carved out of a solid piece of Mansonia wood, a semi-hardwood, using traditional methods
- A variety of carvings and styles is available depending on which size is selected
- Dry-shaved, natural goat skin head (also available in cow skin for the 13×24 size)
- Black vertical ropes and loops, nylon material, 4-5mm thick
- Ledge carved for the bottom ring to keep tension even as the drum is tuned
- All 1/4″ rod rings wrapped in cloth to prevent rust damage to the skin, and to add aesthetic appeal
- Exact size and style will vary from photos above, but will be similar.
- The purchase of this product sustains livelihoods for cultural artisans in West Africa.